Re: What do you use for ballasting?

In a message dated 1/8/01 9:44:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  What one do you use and what one is the best?
>
>  1)Resistive

Resistive works but is very inefficient.  I would avoid it.

>  2)Both Resistive and Inductive

Some systems seem to require some resistance to prevent
thumping in the transformer.

>  3)arc welder

Great controvery here.  Some folks say welders are the best, others
say they are the worst.  I've never tried it.  I guess it depends on the
coil design.

>  4)MOT's

This is a budget method, probably not the best, but it works.

>  5)Variac (non cut)

Again, controvery.  Some say it's fine, others say it's not.  I tried
it once, and the system drew double the normal amount of power
for same spark length.  Variac was 20 amp.  I was drawing only
about 4 amps.  It seems that how well it works depends on how
many turns of the variac are in use.  More turns = better.

>  6)Variac (Cut)

This has found to be good by others, I never tried it.

>  7)home made Inductor (if so what type?)

I use this.  About 300 turns #12 pvc solid wire on a 3" by 19"
pvc form, tapped at various spots with a selector switch.  Center
is filled with transformer "E"s.  I've used this up to 6kVA.

There are saturable reactors.  Then there's a homemade type
that Richie B made (or he modified some other device).  Seems
to have good characteristics.  I don't have his webpage URL
handy here.

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/r.e.burnett/

John Freau