Re: RE: Chaotic Resonance(Solid State Coilers)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <elgersmad-at-fnworld-dot-com>

There are two tank circuits involved, and the first is tuned to half of
the frequency of the second.  The reason that I had chosen that method
was due to the fact that attempting to tune to tank circuits to the
same frequency always lead to a condition where the phase of one tank
wouldn't exactly match the phase of the second.  The closer the two
tank circuits came to the same frequency the longer it would take for
the circuit to reach it's maximum output.  I was dealing with AM
modulation, and it could be in the audio frequencies, or I could
actually tune it down to a second long rise and fall.  Using the first
harmonic within milliseconds I could achieve the average power output
but, the signal was absolutely chaotic.  What happens is that the phase
of the first tank circuit is going in and out of phase with the second,
and that condition is unavoidable with any arrangement of physical
parts.  So, once you are actually breadboarding that condition is
impossible to avoid.  I chose to take advantage of it, and instead of
waiting for the one second delay, rest with the delays in milliseconds
cause by the harmonic.  It goes in and out phase faster but, the ring
value is by far greater than the percent of loss cause by the changing
phase relationship.  Precision tuning the second stage to twice the
frequency of the first stage places power in phase at every quarter
cycle, and the second stage having a higher value of inductance, and
lower value of capacitance has a much higher ring value.  This is more
and more true with higher frequencies as well but, only as long as you
step up to the second stage, and down for the output.  On the first
tank circuit you may manage a Q of between 5 or 10 at 41Khz using audio
transformers from Rat Shack.  The stepped up side will be around 8 and
15.  So, considering that the impedance of the 8 ohm primary at 41Khz
is around 700 ohms, a standard signal generator can be used to test t,
and your 700 side is at about 41K ohms inductive reactance would
require a capacitor that is about 1/120th the value of the primary's
for the second stage to be resonant at twice the oscillators frequency.
The output voltage will be around 300 volts peak to peak, even though
you stepped it down with the very same kind of audio transformer in the
second stage..

James.

-- Original Message As Follows --