What do you use for ballasting?

Original poster: "Mike Waddick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mikew-at-winternet-dot-com>

Hello all,

I am now working on a Potential Transformer Powered Tesla coil. (2.5kva) I
now need ballasting. I know of most all methods. I am not on much a budget
and I would like some opinions. So my question to all of you is....

What one do you use and what one is the best?

1)Resistive
2)Both Resistive and Inductive
3)arc welder
4)MOT's
5)Variac (non cut)
6)Variac (Cut)
7)home made Inductor (if so what type?)
8) other ______________

My specs on my coil are......(what type of ballasting should I use?)

Tranny: 16.5kv PT run at 2.5kva and rated at 1.5kva continuous, Runs on 120v
ac
Primary gap: SRSG (not much more to it)
Primary cap: a .03mfd 35kv Maxwell pulse cap
Primary: Has ~14 turns of .025" copper tubing with a spacing of .25", 8" ID
Secondary: A 6" X 30" wound with 22awg wire on a Acrylic form
Topload: a 6" x 20" Al duct covered with Fiber glass and then coated with AL
tape

For voltage controller I will be using a 50amp 120v in 0-140v out variac

Thanks A lot for all of you that respond,

Mike Waddick

Http://www.winternet-dot-com/~mikry