Re: Chaotic Resonance(Solid State Coilers)

Hi Chuck,

Computer programs like MicroSim, and all, can actually model resonant rise
very well.  In fact the models I use for LTR coils depend on gap timing to
fire the gap at just the instant the resonant voltages on the cap are
maximized while using the stored current in the NST secondary to "kick"
that voltage even higher.

Two areas that the computer does have problems with is the nasty Saturating
LTR coil case where the shunts in the core go into saturation and in the
simple resonant case accounting for the core saturation which ultimately
determines the maximum voltage.  The computer models actually do have this
ability but it is messy and they need data which is not available (requires
blowing some trannies...).  Fortunately, in normal Tesla coil operation,
saturation is not a factor and the models do fine.  You may want to check
the paper on this at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

One may also wonder at resonance, will the computer's numbers drift as the
model rings since the numbers are all digital and time sliced?  I have
found that as long at the resolution is not terribly choppy, the programs
do a fine job of keeping the total system energy constant despite all the
digital stuff going on.  A true mark of good calculation engines!

It seems to me that the computer models can do just about anything they can
be feed accurate data for.  If you want to see them fall apart fast, try
using them to guess data that is not confirmed by actual testing!  The
models are very powerful and can predict all sorts of odd, wonderful, and
very wrong things with ease without actual data keeping them pinned down to
reality.

Cheers,

	Terry