Re: Conductive paint

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Hello all,
>
> I've found some toroidal and spherical shaped polystyrene items. I had in
> mind giving them a good coat of emulsion, and then covering them with
> conductive paint. There seems to be jillions  makers of this stuff out there
> claiming very low ohms per square, and that it is ideal  for shielding.
> Various metal bases are advertized: silver, nickel etc.
>
> Are there any words of wisdom on this idea? I have no idea of the currents
> at discharge points on terminals. Would this be a limitation?
>
> Chuck

	Have you checked the price of that paint?????  The right paint would
work fine, provided you had a thick enough coating of [something] over
the polystyrene to keep the paint from dissolving it.  I would think you
would have problems keeping the surface smooth enough to look
attractive, although roughness wouldn't have much effect on TC
operation.  (VDG terminals are another matter.)  The advantage would be
light weight, the disadvantage would be susceptibility to "dings".

Ed