Geek MMC

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

With the addition of C-D as one of our newest sponsors The Geek Group is
running full bore into the MMC era.

It's about time. SW buckets were getting old real quick.

Today UPS dropped off 250 2kV .1uf caps and 50 2kV .15uF caps. As I
understand it these are almost the same caps as Robin C. used on his coil.

Questions:

1. These are axial lead caps. We have been bending the leads in a gentle
curve (around a mandrel (pen)) to bring them .5" away from the cap where
they enter the board, and to reduce corona losses. Is this nessesary? We
figure that even if it isn't it can't hurt anything and makes the caps look
better. Can a cap arc to itself if the lead is brought straight down the
side?

2. How should they be MOUNTED (not electricaly connected) on the board? In
series or in paralell? Why?

3. How far apart should they be to prevent arc-over?

4. What is the best possible configuration for running a wildly variable
power source from 12 to 15kV at 30 to 240mA? (30mA increments is easy, how
many caps per string?)

Thanks guys! It's good to be back in the game.

Any listees in the Michigan area are welcome to come and tinker this week.
Email me for info. We will be doing our testing in a completely light-tight
and RF proof room in town. It's a steel walled room with welded seams and a
ventilation system, the PERFECT Tesla Test room.

It's an Automotive Paint Booth :) Find one in your hometown!!!!!

Have fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group