Re: steam power

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-cyberverse-dot-com>

> The explanation is easy, gentlemen.
>
> The pump for those socal edison trucks pulse the water. If you are close
> enough, you can easily see it. I asked the crew once, and they confirmed it.
> BTW, the crew thought that Edison was the inventor of the power grid. :(
>
> Gene lambert

	Understand about the water.  Had noticed the stream was discontinuous
but didn't attach the appropriate significance to it.  Not sure what the
Edison crew meant by "power grid", but they could be right.  Edison's
first real DC power distribution system (Pearl Street station, New York
circa 1882) did use a "grid" system.  There were no switches or breakers
and there were a lot of parallel and interconnected lines feeding the
customers.  If a fault (short to ground) occurred it just burned itself
open!  Of course, the distances involved were perhaps a mile and I think
the crew really meant an interconnected system of power sources and
loads, which didn't develop until later and with which Edison had no
involvement.

Ed