Re: synchronizing SRSG

In a message dated 1/3/01 2:15:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I'm considering (much to my dismay - the projected cost keeps going up!)
>  going with a SRSG.  I assume it has to be in proper synch/phase with the
>  NST output.  Can this adjustment be made without fancy equipment
>  (oscilloscope), and without risking blowing the NST in the process of
>  adjustment?  (If so, how?)
>
>   Thanks,
>   - Bill Vanyo

Bill,

Yes, the sync gap has to be adjusted to fire at the peaks of
the ac cycle if it's 120 bps,  and for equal "bang" sizes if it's
240 bps.  Usually folks rotate the motor in it's cradle, or put the
fixed electrodes on a moveable arm, or rotate the rotor relative to
motor shaft.  Remote phase adjustment can be done with a long
plastic rod that turns the motor, etc.  Or with a small motor
that turns the sync motor housing.

However a much easier method is shown at my website at:

    http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

This method uses a variac, capacitor, fuse, and resistor, to
shift the phase electrically and remotely.  It makes adjusting
the phase a snap.  Adjust the variac for maximum output
sparks from the Tesla coil.

JOhn Freau