Re: depotting NST vs. LTR (static gap)

In a message dated 1/3/01 9:43:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Assume for the sake of argument I have a depotted NST with a protection
>  circuit (a la Terry Fritz).  Is there any advantage to using an LTR cap
>  at that point?  How likely is the depotted NST to fail with a resonant
>  cap?  Are there any other advantages to LTR besides the reduced stress
>  on the NST?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Bill Vanyo

Bill,

that's a good question.  The only advantage of LTR that I can
see is reduced stress on the NST and cap (if the cap is rated
for a rather low voltage).  I use LTR on my depotted NST's now.
However I used potted NST's with LTR or reso-caps for years with no
failures with sync gaps.... but I don't recommend reso anymore.
My suggestion is to use the LTR for all NST cases.  One special
thing than you can do with reso-caps, is to get more (double)
wattage from an NST than it's rating when running 120 volts input.
This trick requires more than 120 volts input using LTR.
I obtained the same spark output with reso or LTR; 42" from
a 12/30 NST.

John Freau