Primary and Secondary winding direction

Original poster: "Kelly & Phillipa Williams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kellyw-at-ihug.co.nz>

Hello All,

Are there any rules governing the direction in which the primary coil and
the secondary coil are wound?

I have read on the web that the primary and the secondary *must* be wound in
the same direction. I think that this is due to: the current induced in the
secondary coil
makes a magnetic field that is the opposite of the primary magnetic field
and so the magnetic fields mutually annihilate each other.
I am not completely sure about this, I haven't sat down and done the math
:-(

My assistant suggested that you just swap the leads to the primary coil,
(the primary tap lead and the center connection lead.) However, the
resonation is like AC so therefore it will not make much difference, the
induced current in the secondary will still make an opposing field to the
primary, as *both* magnetic fields have swapped polarity. Am I right?

Thanks heaps,

Alan Williams