Re: obtaining longest sparks from NST, was Capacitors

In a message dated 1/1/01 2:44:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Hi Mike and All, I like the idea of longer lightning. I was planning on the
>  static gap but since I'm
>  getting into this thing, I would like to know what I need to set up a SRSG.
>  I appreciate your help.
>  Thanks, Tim
>  PS- I have a chance to purchase another 15k/30ma transformer at $20.00.
>  Should I? Will it help in
>  longer sparks,reliability,stability,etc?
>  Tesla list wrote:

W,

So many many factors to consider; certainly two NST's can give
a longer spark than one, but it all depends on many factors.  Many
coils that are built do not really give the best possible performance.
Many folks use a 15/30 NST, and obtain only 18" sparks.  Yet,
with a careful design, where everything works together, 45" sparks
can be obtained, maybe even longer.  Theoretically, one can use
two NST's for the same spark length as one, and obtain greater
reliablity of the NST.

Output results depend so much on capacitor size, break-rate,
gap type and quality, toroid size, number of turns, etc.

SRSG gives the coil a whole new character.

John Freau