Re: Tube coil, level shifter madness

Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

Hi John, Dave , all,

I guess I will come out from the woodwork ;-)

Let me recount my experience with Staccato and Level Shifted VTTC's, first
I only use Level Shifting on my Vac coils, except for filtered DC.  The cap
value does not seem super critical, but Dave's formula does help to get to
that "optimum" value. My first experience (actually -Attempt) was not done
very well. I was playing around with a big 6" coil with way too long leads
(~24") and 2-3 833's powered by a beefy Plate Trany, getting only 8-10"
snarly sparks. I then decided to try John's Staccato circuit using the
74LS123's on this setup. Big mistake. I would get the Staccato board all in
phase, hook it up and fire it all up, but would get Staccato control with
low power short spark, only to have it die as I turned the Variac up. I
replaced many burnt IC's, but eventually gave up. Obviously, I was getting
a nasty RF field, that would clobber the sensitive IC's.
  Later, I had a much better research coil setup getting 19 to 20" sparks
with two 833's (using Level shifting, of course). To this I installed a
version of Dave Sharpe's 556 Staccato circuit, this worked great once I got
it going (with much help from Dave!). I did not get any longer sparks than
with Level Shifting alone, but could run at much reduced power consumption
at low pulse rates. That sword like spark is quite cool to behold. But
these beasts are quite finicky.
  I haven't done any VTTC stuff for a while, all that stuff is pack away,
as I have been working on other projects. I guess I got a bit frustrated
with my Audio Modulation work as it is also very "finicky". I was hoping
some others would pick that up and improve (hint!), as much needs to be
improved upon.  I think I will get back to some vac coiling soon, but
haven't yet a goal (I work by goals), but meanwhile am working on some HeNe
Laser stuff and playing around with a RM14S radiation detector I got,
probably can even get a BF3 detector to work on this. Regrettably Fusor
stuff is a bit too deep pocket for myself at this time...

So many projects...

Regards,

David Trimmell
www.ChaoticUniverse-dot-com