Re: MOT power supply

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Henry and all,

You are far from crazy, Henry - it turns out that this circuit
effectively is self-ballasting because the 1.1 uF caps that form the
voltage doubler circuit are in series with each HV leg of the MOT's. So,
even when you short circuit the HV to the tank circuit with a spark gap,
the MOT's never see anything worse than the capacitive reactance of the
capacitors at mains frequency. This circuit was discussed a little bit
last month on the T-2 list. To my knowledge, Marco Denicolai was the
first coiler to use a similar circuit in his earlier MOT-powered coil.
However, its self-ballasting properties were apparently only recently
appreciated.

In principle, this approach could be used with other unballasted
transformers. Short-circuit current could be controlled by changing the
capacitance values... but I'd sure want to put a fast fuse on the LV
side just in case I lost a series cap... :^)

Nice circuit to remember for future MOT designs.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering