Re: cable and enamelled copper wire

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> I have looked at getting copper wire from a transformer manufacturer and a
> motor rewind company. There are several up and down the UK. Try Yellow
pages
> for your area, or if you are near Newcastle upon Tyne or Bishop's
Stortford
> in Herts I can give you an address.
> As for the HT cable my thoughts would be to check out a boiler company or
> car parts supplier. I am thinking of the cable used to run from the
> distributor to plugs if you can still buy it off a drum (not ready made
> leads) or as used on the transformer to spark ignition on a big boiler.

Sparkplug wire (I believe it is called High Tension Cable in UK) works just
fine up to 40-50kV.  Just make sure it is the copper (often tinned copper)
core, not the resistive stuff.  Here in US it's called "solid core" as
opposed to "suppression". You'll find it a bit expensive... runs about
$1/foot here.

Just as good, for all practical purposes, is regular old house wire (#14 or
#16 solid) inside vinyl plastic (Tygon) tubing.  For that matter, bare wire
works, if properly supported away from grounded things.

And, as mentioned in other posts, the larger coax cable (RG-8, etc.) works
quite nicely.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/hvwire.htm