Re: 4.5amp Variac good enough?

In a message dated 2/27/01 9:46:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  So i could use my 4.5 amp variac just plain w/o a PFC?
>
>  Very GOOD!!!!!!
>
>  matt

Matt,

If your variac is the step up type, which outputs 0-140V, then
this will cause the NST to draw more than 360VA, and more
than 550VA without pfc.  The NST may actually draw 600 to
700VA, depending on the cap value, etc.  Reso, and LTR
setup's tend to draw more power in general.  But the variac
should still be OK, because they can handle twice their
rated power (and even more) for short run times.

My TT-42 coil uses an unmodified 12/30 NST, but it draws
700VA or so.  the old research coil (upon which the TT-42
was based), drew 620 watts from a 12/30 NST, using a
0-140V step up variac, LTR cap, and pfc caps.

John Freau