Re: Grid R/C pulsing of a CW VTTC

Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

Carl, Yes I know what you are talking about with those AF noises, mostly
horribly shrill! But with the right capacitance (using the 50K ohm) I could
get a true 10 to 40 pulses per second (estimated, as I didn't measure),
only instead of the nice sword like sparks from the cathode lifting method,
I got thicker gnarly ones. Interesting was that I was able to get 12
inchers. The same setup with "true" staccato Level Shifting gave me 16"
sparks with one 304TL.

I think there may be some problems with using the 556 timer SCR cathode
lifter with DC mode, as there is no 0 crossing, maybe some other problems?
Sputter mode with DC to the plates was pretty stable, but did show some
tendency to drift (as seen on the scope). I really did not spend that much
time on this. It was just something I had thought about some time ago, and
with the DC setup for the Audio mod work, I thought I would give it a go.

Yeah, its all "experimental" for myself as well, and I only barely
comprehend the theory behind these things (Vac. Tubes)!

Regards,

David Trimmell