Final Preparations fo Tesla HD Project, Questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>

Fellow Tesla Enthusiasts,

Being that the regional competition for National History Day is this weekend,
I felt that I should ask a question that's been bothering me for a while
(moreso these past few hours, I discovered something...).

A couple hours ago, I noticed that an interesting "force-field" effect can be
produced with the 15,000 V 60 mA NST i'm going to use for a Jacob's Ladder
for the exhibit on Tesla for HD (the title of my exhibit is "Nikola Tesla -
The Legacy of Alternating Current"). I was experimenting with a length of 15
kV rated wire attached to one terminal of the NST when I discovered that a
weird sensation can be felt when moving my hand over the surface of the
insulation. It is really weird though as it reminds me of a force field
surrounding the wire. About an inch away I can feel a buzzing electrical
feeling in my hand, similar to static, only constant, more powerful, and it
somewhat restricts the movement of my hand the closer it gets to the surface
of the insulation.

I've hypothesised that this is a capacitive effect; the wire and my hand
being the plates of the virtual capacitor and the insulation being the
dielectric. Further evidence that supports this conclusion is that the
sensation intensifies as more of my hand is exposed to the wire.

So my main concern is: will it be a problem when running the Jacob's Ladder
around many people? I have only tried it with the wire connected to one
terminal, and not arcing to the opposite terminal or ground, and yet the
sensation was quite strong. Will this "force-field" become a problem with the
full 900 VA flowing through the wires, possibly presenting a shock or fire
hazard?

I've already planned out everything i'm going to do to prevent mishaps during
the competition, such as a crude lockout mechanism (it won't work without the
fuse ;-)), HV wire, insulated terminals, etc. Plus, i'm not planning on
leaving the HV stuff anytime during the competition. The Jacob's Ladder will
also be run with a fairly low duty cycle (5 seconds on, 30 off) to reduce
electrode heating.

Also, if any of the list members would be so kind as to let me interview them
(telephone, online, etc.), I would be eternally grateful. Contact me off list
and we may be able to work something out. Thanx!!! I would also like to thank
those that have already helped me with this project, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Josh Hunsaker
Denver, Colorado
ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com