Re: high power resistor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/22/01 11:45:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
>
> HI All,
>    I have been looking around for cheap source of resistors too use in
> my DC power supply project. I have looked at the various options and
> they are all outside my present budget. (around 150 dollars) this is for
> a 1 kw 5 k ohm resistor. I want to try making one using nichrome wire as
> this should be considerably cheaper. Anyone tried this?. It just rankles
> to have to spend so much on a resistor :-(( Don't mind spending this
> amount on something like a transformer on a cap, but a resistor?
>
> cheers
> bob golding

Hi Bob, list,

Have you considered using a string of resistors (MMR)? Mouser Electronics <
www.sales-at-mouser-dot-com>has 500-ohm 100-watt resistors for $8.23. A string of 10
would be $82.30 stock # 588-L100J-value, or 5 of their 225W 1K-ohm -at- $11.94
would be ~$60.00 # 588-L225J-value. These are brand-new Ohmites. I'm not
pushing their brand, just an example.

Lightning in the Hills of WVa.
Matt D.