high power resistor

Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

HI All,
    I have been looking around for cheap source of resistors too use in
my DC power supply project. I have looked at the various options and
they are all outside my present budget. (around 150 dollars) this is for
a 1 kw 5 k ohm resistor. I want to try making one using nichrome wire as
this should be considerably cheaper. Anyone tried this?. It just rankles
to have to spend so much on a resistor :-(( Don't mind spending this
amount on something like a transformer on a cap, but a resistor?

cheers
bob golding