Re: "Scotty, Beam me up!"

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

The key thing that needs to be the same is the resonant frequency of the
secondary.  The primary is just how you get the power into the transmitting
secondary and out of the receiving secondary.

Off hand, you want the transmitter loosely coupled (so that the spark gap LC
"oscillator" can do it's thing), although, that might be something you want
to study.  The recommendation for loose coupling is based on experience
where you are trying to get long sparks, whereas what you are trying to do
is radiate the most power, which might be a case where more coupling is
good.

The receiver should be tightly coupled (you want to get the power out of the
secondary as quickly as possible), and you probably don't want a capacitor
in the "primary" of the receiver, rather, the primary winding serves more as
an impedance transformer to get the power at a more reasonable voltage and
current.

This implies, then, that you should have some way of tuning the secondaries,
because even if you wind them exactly the same and use the same topload,
etc., there are inevitably going to be differences, if only due to
surroundings, corona discharge in the transmitter, etc.   Perhaps some sort
of scheme with two toroids where you can adjust the separation to change the
top load C? An adjustable inductor in series that you can orient in
different axes? You probably only need to tune the receiver secondary, by
the way.