Re: GETTING CLOSER!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/21/01 12:43:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hello all,
> This is the current status of my coil and some questions that have come up
> along the way.
> 4 x 19 inch Secondary: 1600+ turns of #20 mag wire, complete with a modified
> antique glass insulator for a torroid mount.
> Primary:  The form is complete and will be wound with close to 50 feet of
> red
> insulated, stranded 10 AWG.
> Variac: 3.75 amps 145 VAC out, fused at 10amps and will be used to boost my
> tranny. (Will not be used on first light run)
> Trannys: 2 each 12kv 30ma NSTs.

Thanks for reading,
--Nate  Arlington TX

Hi Nate!

Just a couple of quick thoughts to ponder:

1. How do you plan to tap an insulated primary?
2. Your Variac is rated for ~ 550 W power, your two trannies will draw at
least 720 W.
How do you plan to cool your Variac?
3. With a 10 amp fuse protecting a 3.75amp Variac, won't the Variac smoke to
protect the fuse?  I have 15-Amp fuse protection on a 20-Amp rated Variac to
an NST that should only draw 8.35Amps Max, but where I live fuses are much
cheaper than Variacs.

Matt D.