Re: Found: Sync Motors??

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <nieporgo-at-email.uc.edu>

>Original poster: "Jon Tebbs by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jgtebbs-at-eos-dot-net>
>
>Hi Greg & all,
>
>It appears you have found precisely the same motor that I used
>successfully for
>my SRSG. Check the P/N on the label: 252193. It has ball bearing construction
>and a strong spring behind the rear bearing to keep the armature loaded
>forward.
>
>I can vouch for this little gem in it's ability to spin a moderate
>sized rotor.
>More than adequate torque for the job. This motor does seem to qualify as
>salient pole. Please refer to these photos of the armature and note the four
>distinct quadrants bounded by aluminum:
>
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/armature01.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/armature02.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/armature03.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/armature04.jpg
>
>For the benefit of others who may be interested, this motor measures about 3
>inches in diameter by 4.5 inches long and is a mere one thirty fifth H.P. The
>shaft, 5/16 inch diameter, is barely 5/8 inch long necessitating an
>extended hub
>design. For photos of this SRSG, please refer to:
>
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/srsg01.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/srsg02.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/srsg03.jpg
>http://www2.eos-dot-net/jgtebbs/tesla/srsg04.jpg
>
>The lexan rotor measures 3/8 inch thick by 6 inches diameter with
>four 1/8 inch
>tungsten electrodes mounted in 1/4-20 brass holders. The finned heat sinks are
>also from MECI, P/N 310-0028, a bag of ten for $5.00.
>
>Best of luck Greg, please post of your results.
>
>--
>Jon G. Tebbs
><jgtebbs-at-eos-dot-net>
>

>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>>  Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><nieporgo-at-email.uc.edu>
>>
>>  Hello All,
>>  I was doing some browsing the other day at MECI surplus. I came
>>  across several sync motors and I am curious if these are the type
>>  that work properly in SRSG service without further modifications.
>>  Here is the nameplate data:
>>
>>  Terminal Data Corporation
>>  Sync Motor
>>  115 VAC 60 Hz
>>  1500/1800 RPM
>>  5 MFD
>>
>>  I seem to remember these as Teletype motors? It is about 1/15 - 1/20
>  > hp size or so.
>  >

Great! It sound like a perfect fit for my 15/60 setup. If anyone else
is looking for a motor like this, send mail, I'm sure they're gonna
sell these for less than $20 each ( They sell brand new 3/4 hp motors
for $45!)
thanks again,
Greg

--