Re: Mot DC Ps

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Charles,

On 18 Feb 01, at 11:36, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Hi Luc,
>
> I looked at your web page gif:
> http://pages.infinit-dot-net/luc2/mot_dc_ps.gif It was a pleasure to see
> such a well drawn schematic. Several comments on the circuit though:
>
> 1. I can not see the need for the two lower sets of diodes connected
> across the 2.2uF capacitors. They don't appear to be doing anything.
>
> 2. I bread boarded your bridge circuit and applied a low A.C. to it to
> test it. Yes, it doubles the voltage. I then removed the diodes I
> mentioned. Voltage doubling still occurred.
>
> 3. I don't think the circuit can be regarded as a full wave rectifier.
> The 2.2uF on the right charges to the peak value of the two MOT's in
> series (around 6kV) via the two top right diodes during 1/2 the ac
> cycle. Then the left 2.2uF capacitor charges to the peak ac value
> through the top left diodes to  6kV during the other half of the ac
> cycle..The 2.2uF caps  with their 6kV in series deliver the  12kV to
> the load.

That is an interesting point. I've seen the circuit referred to as a
full wave voltage doubler and conclude that this is because the
transformer winding is delivering load power on both half cycles. It
follows that copper utilization is better for this circuit than for
the classic halfwave VD.

Regards,
malcolm
<snip>