About this phase shifter

Original poster: "Tyler Steineckert by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tsgeoman-at-qwest-dot-net>

I have a 1/30hp motor that has a start cap.  Can I still use this design for
phase shifting? Also, I use a variac to increase the voltage to the point
that the motor will lock sync. Because the motor is a little small and the
roto is large and heavy. It will lock at 128 volts, then I can bring it
down, even to 65 volts and it will stay locked.  How can I use the phase
shifter and still be able to raise the voltage of the motor to 130 so that
it will lock?

Thank you all
Tyler