Re: Lower secondary cself => better performance?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Duncan, Paul, and Gary,

I agree with most of Gary and Duncan's reasoning. There's fairly strong
empirical AND theoretical support for using as large a topload as
possible as long as the terminal voltage remains sufficient to cause
initial streamer formation ("breakout"). However, for a fixed bang size,
increasing the topload capacitance reduces the maximum output voltage,
so a larger diameter toroid may also require a smaller Radius of
Curvature (ROC) to ensure that initial breakout still occurs at the
appropriate point on resonator ring-up (more below). (BTW, for those who
are very seriously interested in gaining a better understanding of
streamer formation and propagation, undoubtedly one of the most valuable
in-print publications on this topic is "Spark Discharge" by E. M.
Bazelyan and Y. P Raizer (CRC Press, 1998, 320pp, ISBN 0-8493-2868-3 -
$105 from Borders On-Line - cheap it is not... superb it is...). I'll
try to provide a Readers Digest Condensed (and considerably less
technical) summary.

Under the right conditions, an initial streamer transforms itself into a
high current channel, called a leader, which very rapidly propagates to
a distance which is governed by the amount of charge that is
_immediately_ available from the top terminal. The leader provides a
conductive path for charge to be injected from the top terminal
into surrounding regions of lower potential in a sudden surge of
[ampere-level] displacement current. Charge residing in the internal
capacitance of the resonator does not significantly impact the
length of this step. Even though the more correct term for the streamers
we see is probably "leaders", I'll continue to use "streamers" to be
consistent with discussions on this list. Because of the physics
involved, initial breakout is achieved at a lower voltage for a positive
voltage excursion than for a negative one. And, once the initial
streamer begins propagating, if the topload voltage can be made to rise
at an appropriate rate, the leader can continue to propagate
indefinitely. Both conditions can be met (at least for a while) in a
Tesla Coil with a properly sized topload.

As Gary and Duncan have surmised, charge flow is fundamental to the
streamer propagation process. Once initial breakout begins, the distance
that the initial streamer will travel (sometimes called the leader step
length) is a function of the _amount_ of charge that can be made
immediately available from a reservoir of charge. Because of the huge
amount of charge residing in a charged cloud, individual step length may
be hundreds of feet for a lightning leader, but for Tesla Coils, leader
length would be inches or feet. In a Tesla Coil, the larger the
available topload charge (Ctop*Vtop), the slower the rate of topload
voltage collapse as charge is "sucked out" via heavy displacement
currents flowing into a newly formed streamer, and the longer the "step"
becomes. Because of the high velocity of propagation (10^6 - 10^7 cm/sec
or more) and the short duration of mthe current pulses, charge residing
within the internal capacitance of the resonator is of limited utility
since the intervening inductance prevents large instantaneous currents
from being supplied directly to the streamer.

In effect, during each step, an increment of charge is transferred from
topload C into the capacitance of the streamer through a lossy,
non-linear conductor (the plasma channel), forcing the topload voltage
to decrease. If the topload voltage collapses quickly (small Ctop),
further streamer growth is starved, prematurely ending propagation. A
"stiffer" reservoir of charge (i.e., a larger Ctop) provides a larger
slug of [take your pick: energy, charge, or current] necessary to
develop a longer, hotter conductive channel. Small topload C = short
step length. But wait, there's more...

If initial breakout occurred while energy was still being transferred
from the primary to the secondary, the topload voltage recovers as
additional potential energy is pumped into the topload capacitance and
topload voltage resumes its sinusoidal progression towards Vmax. Under
the rising potential, displacement current is again driven into the
channel capacitance, and the streamer can again propagate, further
extending the initial streamer. The increasing topload voltage
compensates for increasing voltage drop in the lengthening streamer
channel, so that a sufficient E-field (~30 kV/cm) can be maintained at
the streamer tip to advance ionization and add to streamer length. The
additional streamer growth further adds to streamer capacitance and in
increased displacement current in the streamer root. However,
propagation can't continue indefinitely, since conservation of energy
eventually limits the maximum voltage that can be achieved in the
system, and the process stops.

At least that's my interpretation of what's going on... :^)

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>