Re: VTTC output

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Ed Phillips wrote:

> You didn't mention plate current

Ed,

- At full power it was 350 mA -at- Vp = 9000 Vdc and Vg2 = 1000 V.
The plate remained at a middle red color.

> what was the net power input?
- I'm using a 3 phase tranni and haven't got a 3 phase wattmeter.
So I don't know the net input power.

> what is the operating frequency
- It's around 200 kHz

> are you sure primary and secondary tune to the same
frequency?
- Yes I am. First I had some problems to understand frequency
splitting, but with the assistance of Bert Hickman I found the
correct tuning procedure.

> Have you played with the coupling?
- I've changed the distance between the lowermost turn of the
primary and the lowermost turn of the secondary from +45 mm
(secondary above primary) to -15 mm (secondary below primary).
Neither the voltage across the 5.1 Ohm resistor, which I've
connected between the base of the secondary and rf ground, nor
the visible shape of the brush changed. Below +30 mm the
waveshape, which was nearly pure sinusodial before, started to
become more and more distorted. Do you have an explanation for
this?

In general I was rather surprised to find the system to react so
insensitive:
- Varying the coupling (within limits of course) seems not to
change anything.
- Plate current becomes larger as screen grid voltage is increased.
The plate becomes a little bit more red, but that's it. Nearly no
increase of brush size.
- The only thing which influenced the brush size very much, was an
increased tank circuit impedance.

I assume that the reason is the large (in comparison to triodes)
plate impedance of my tetrode. Do you agree?

Regards,

Herwig