Re: coil update...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Scot,
>
> Please tell me more about your current limiting
> inductor.  How big is the core, and what is it made
> of.  How much of what kind of wire is wound on it.  Is
> it commercial or homebrew, etc.,etc.  If you've
> already covered this material on the list, please
> reply off-list.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Greg

snipperz...

Hi Greg..

the inductor is a homebrew..  it is an EI core without the I part   the
winding consist of THHN #10 solid
copper wire. there are 6 layers at 32 winds per layer for about 200 turns
total. the core dimensions are
as follows  ( the E core is positioned so that it is legs up )   |_|_|  (
front view)  core material is
laminated silicon steel. ( i have no idea what the BH curve is )

width  6.5" front to back
length 7" side to side
height 6.75" top to bottom
outside E legs 1.125" ( width looking at front)
space between E legs  1.25"
depth of E leg to base 5.625"
center E leg 2.125"
bottom of E 1.125"

when this assy. is run with the coil fully seated on the core I get about
20 amps current at 280V, with
about 1" of coil extended beyond the core the Amperage is approximately 40
A at 280V. The coil seems to
run warmer at the 40 amp rating.

I plan to rewind the core with a double set of #10 wires to increase the
amp handling capacity later on.
altho this will reduce the number of turns available for the window size.
Ill probably see a decrease of
inductance, therefore an increase of amperage flow ( maybe this will give
me about 40 - 50 A at a full
core/coil setup, no need to lift the coil off of the center core) .

Scot D