Re: I Need Electrical Help!

Original poster: "Eric Davidson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <edavidson-at-icva.gov>

"Professor" Drew,

I would argue that making the proper connection and trying to "share" (2) 15
amp breakers to get 30 amperes, could be considerably more complex that you
may first imagine.  The first problem is phasing.  Its almost certain that
the school has 3 phase service, so you must divorce yourself from the
scenario found in your home, that being a 120-0-120 volt,  single phase
service.  Most (not all)120 volt single phase loads are fed from a 3 phase
120Y/208 volt panel (this connection allows for a grounded neutral
conductor), meaning 120 volts from any phase to neutral, and 208 volts phase
to phase. If this is indeed the case, you will never be able to get 240
volts from your wiring contraption, only 208.  As far as load sharing is
concerned, the loads would be 120 degrees apart, not 180, and you would not
be able to get (2) 120 volt circuits of opposite POLARITY (the 120 volt
circuits in a home supplied with single phase service are NOT out of phase,
or different phases, their POLARITY is opposite, a common mistake you see
alot on this list). There are other connections used in feeder panels, delta
and balanced T connections, which could supply 240 volts or (2) 120 volt
circuits of opposite polarity. Though I dont think it will blow up in your
face, I would check with the person in charge of the utilities at the school
before you try anything, especially when it is potentially dangerous, as is
a Tesla coil, and being done in a school full of curious kids. I hope this
helps. Coil safe!

Eric
edavidson-at-icva.gov