Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Terry,

Thanks for adding the scales to the Word document. I have access to a frequency
counter and will perform my own calibration, but the scale is a nice feature. I
will probably mimic it for my calibration. Now that I've built it and used it,
it appears the scale is nice for the sole purpose of estimating the resonant
frequency as a number. However, coilers can build this tuner and use it to tune
thier coils by simply finding the resonant frequeny in this manner:

1) Find the resonant frequency of the secondary (in place) and then leaving the
dial (10k pot) undisturbed.

2) Hook to primary circuit and tune (with tuner taps) until the same resonant
frequency is found.

3) Double check 1 and 2.

That should just about do it for the sole purpose of tuning. See where I'm
going with this?

Great job Terry! BTW, if the above seems a little premature - it may be. I'm
guessing the actual outcome will be "physically" in tune but my coils in pieces
at the moment and I can't actually fire up - I can only do these dry tests.
(Also rebuilding a Dodge Swinger Slant Six this week - so time has been
divided).

Thanks again,
Bart A.

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TCT09.doc>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TCT09.doc