Re: Diluting Epoxy (for a secondary coat)

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 07:11 AM 10/02/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Bart by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<bmcguyer-at-houston.rr-dot-com>

>Hello,
>
>For my new secondary, I was wondering if I could just mix 2-part liquid
>epoxy and use that as the one and only coating.  The only problem that I
>can see would be that the epoxy might not be fluid enough.  Should I use
>epoxy, or just use many coats of varathane?  How might I dilute the epoxy
>and make it flow better, but not affect the drying times?  Thanks for all
>the help to come.
>
>Bart Mc.

Hello Bart,

You won't need to dilute the epoxy...you don't want it runny otherwise it
will sag on the form and look like hell when it cures.  I use the two part
West System epoxy on all of my secondaries.  Follow the directions to the
letter and you'll have no problems.

I wind my secondaries on a metal lathe so that the entire winding operation
is pretty much automatic.  You can hand wind it just as well, but it will
take a lot longer.  Apply a thin coat of the epoxy to the form before you
start winding, then another coat when done.  Keep the form rotating until
the epoxy cures, which takes about an hour or two depending on the temp
and humidity.  The windings will end up totally encased in a very strong
protective coating with excellent electrical and mechanical properties.

I can't see why anyone would want to bother with multiple coats of urethane
when one properly applied epoxy coating does the job not only much faster,
but in my opinion provides a stronger and more durable coating as well.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca