Re: Magnet Wire Insulation Question

Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:48:26 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>I have a question to all you big kVA coilers. I'm
>preparing to wind a new 10-3/4" secondary for a coil I
>will run in the 15 kVA range, and have been reading
>and researching wire insulation types. I've been
>quoted anywhere from $3/lb for heavy Nyleze to over
>$30/lb for triple ML for AWG 18. Is there any real
>world difference between triple ML and heavy Formvar,
>versus regular enamel, versus Nyleze, etc., etc.? I
>plan on spending quite a bit on this one, and was
>wondering if it was worth the extra expense to buy a
>fancier insulation, when I've blown right through my
>fancy 7,500 volt insulation on two smaller
>secondaries.
How about 'slightly' space-winding, say using fishing line, to add a
small gap between turns, so your coating also acts as turn-to-turn
insulation?