Re: A little worried. I don't want landlord to ban my hobby.

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

BIG SNIPPERZZZ>>>

reading over all of this tenant/landlord stipulation issues ( sorry Terry I
know this is off topic
but...) it basically boils down to human nature and fear of the unknown.

a good analogy could be in retrospect to snakes ( especially posionous
ones) ... say you are a
tenant with a hobby of raising pit vipers, YOU know how to handle them YOU
know what they are
capable of, their temperment , behavior, etc, but the general populace has
no idea of that, all
they see is a snake, a creature of mysticism, foulness, and what ever else
they dont know of the
animal to add to their already fogged over uneducated ideas of what they
are really about..
Ignorance of a subject is the most damaging thing one could impose upon
themselves.

Yes, we do put disclaimers on our web pages and we do say messing with
tesla coils is a situation
that can be dangerous to ones self, but so can handling a Gaboon Viper when
its ready to shed.

In general, I would say 99% of us on this list have spent several months
reading and learning
about coils before we went on to the upper end coil systems. ( we handled
the less/or nonvenomous
snakes first ;) ). Eventually we end up upgrading to higher power coils,
but by then we know of
the hazards that are potentially dangerous to us, and to the by standers
that come to visit.

If the landlord continues to see the hobby as detrimental, educate them "if
you can" ( some people
refuse to learn and only believe what other misinformed people have told
them ). You mentioned
that you had a video of taking small streamers to yourself, show the
landlord that it is possible
to do so ( but not the best thing to do ) explain that low level powers off
of a T coil are not
that harmful ( obviously so, you have taken streamer hits already :(    )
with enuf coaxing and
"proof" that T coils aren't a terrible thing, you can continue with your
pursuits.

I havent had to deal with landlords, but I have had to deal with the local
police ( who wanted
badly to find some reason to shut down my activities and make some money
off of me via fines etc.
) but once I had explained to them that what was happening and that the
danger of the coil was at
a minimum to anyone, they watched for a few more minutes and left ( wanting
to know when I'll be
running it again so they could bring friends and family).

be tactful and careful ( and a bit not so honest ;)   )

Scot D