Re: Secondary Topload ( was New formula for secondaryresonant frequency)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Kurt,

On 8 Feb 01, at 7:53, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>
>
> Hi John,
>
> I'm not shure, if I get you right: isn't it widespread design
> practice, to calculate the loaded secondary Fres by just adding
> the Medhurst coil-capacity to the independently estimated toroid
> capacity (by Bert Pool's equation), then estimating the
> inductance by wheeler's formula, and then calculating the
> resonant frequency by the Thomson formula ? In symbols:
>
> Cmed = (H/D)*K  (with K from the Medhurst table or a fit eqn.)
> Ctop = (1+(.2781-d2/d1))*2.8*sqrt(pi((d1-d2)*(d2/2))/2)  Bert
> Pool's
>
> Csec = Cmed + Ctop  <--- point of concern ??
>
> Lsec = (R^2 x N^2) / (9R + 10B)    Wheeler
> Fres = 1/ (2pi*(sqrt(Lsec * Csec)) Thomson
>
> ...at least it's the way I'm doing it. I'm aware, that the
> addition of the C's is not ultimately correct (as Paul
> Nicholson's detailed analysis shows). And when the coil comes to
> breakout, the topload is in fact expanded by the sparks and ion
> clouds...

There is a problem with that approach that's been known about for a
long time. It is best illustrated if you take, say, a 6" major
diameter torus, plonk it on top of, say a 2" secondary, deduce its
capacitance by one means or another, THEN put it on top of a 12"
secondary. You will end up with a large disparity in the capacitance
value of the terminal between the two situations. In fact, the 12"
coil will hardly notice it's there. The terminal is effectively
shielded by the windings. For a long time now I've regarded the
system as a whole rather than trying to make the bits fit.

Regards,
malcolm