Re: Telsa Tornandos, was: Sword-like VTTC spark pics

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

I have noticed this strange looking spark before on several different TC's.

On my first coil, which had a lightbulb covered w/ aluminum tape for the
topload. Input 450VA, 3" sparks. (it was VERY out-of-tune!!)

On one of my friend Aron's small coils...270VA in, 6" arcs, small brass
drawer pull for the discharge terminal.

On a little throw-it-together coil of ours, using the same lightbulb w/ Al
tape topload. Input 270VA, 3" arcs, secondary was 1" x 5".

On our old 4.5" coil, 900VA input, 3' arcs...styrofoam sphere covered in
aluminum tape.

Now that you mention it, I *think* I've only seen this kind of "corkscrew"
looking arc on coils with spherical toploads. It's a very distinctive
looking discharge...very odd.

I wonder what causes it. It's always a single streamer, never more than one
at a time. And it's longer than your typical streamer (prob. b/c all the
power is going into that one). Also, it seems to spin at a very high rate -
- what's the RPM of your streamers?! ; ) Weird. My guess is that audio
resonance, convection, and the normal characteristics of RF are all coming
into play to make this single "vortex" looking streamer.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com