Re: A little worried. I don't want landlord to ban my hobby.

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

A bit of practical advice on landlord/tenant relations (having been on both
sides of this game, in court and out....)

In most states, if you are on a "month to month" rental (as opposed to a
lease), the landlord could, at any time, give you a 30 day notice to quit.
No cause required. Of course, if they make a habit of getting rid of a
protected class: minorities, children, disabled, religious practice, etc.
then it gets somewhat sticky, but you'd have to establish the
discriminatory behavior, etc.  (I doubt you could claim that you are a
member of an obscure sect that worships HV discharges, for instance....)

For a lease, they could probably give you a notice to cure or quit (either
3 or 30 days, depending), if they allege that it a)creates a safety hazard;
b)violates any laws; c)etc...

If they wanted to get serious, I have no doubt that they could find some
law that you are violating, and once the landlord has "reasonable cause to
believe that a violation of law or regulation exists" (in their mind, not
yours), that starts the whole process grinding.

Hmm.. You are fully in compliance with 47 CFR (FCC rules) right? What about
electrical codes (local, etc.)?

What about that lease/rental agreement clause that prohibits tenants from
doing anything that will increase the landlord's insurance rates or risks
(it's in a lot of leases, and can cover a multitude of alleged sins..).
All it takes is a letter from the insurance agent saying something along
the lines of "We believe that operation of experimental high voltage
devices may increase the risk of fire or structural damage, and as a
result, if the operation continues, we will reevaluate your rating basis."
Nice and vague, but good enough.

The upshot is... be nice, polite, and persuasive; because, in a practical
sense, you'll be on the street long before the legal dust settles. If they
decide they really want you out, you're history, rent control, state law,
or whatever.

Of course, if you're an attorney (or know one who is willing to work for
free), you have a big budget, and like arguments on principles, have at
it... I'll support you all the way (just because I'm persnickety and hate
actions born of expediency, which is what I advocate above).

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>