From: John H. Couture [mailto:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 4:02 PM
To: Tesla list
Subject: RE: Awg formula, was "New formula for secondary resonant
frequency"

Bart -

I obtained the equation many years ago from the Simplex Wire & Cable Co. You
did a lot better than many other people in past years trying to come up with
a different equation.

Note that for 4/0 AWG wire that  x = 0  and  dia = .46 inches.
All equations have to take 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 (x=3,2,1,0) into
consideration.

 The AWG table then changes to MCM for larger wires. The MCM stands for
millions of circular mils. A circular mil is the area of a circle one mil in
diameter. A solid wire one inch in diameter has an area of one million
circular mils. One square inch equals  4/pi x 1,000,000 CM = 1,273,200 CM .
It can be confusing. However, it does avoid decimals in specifying wire
sizes, a lot of which I did in the past.

John Couture