Re: 120 or 240 or 480 BPS??

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill Trumpet by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <billtrumpet-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hello TCML,
>
> Would any of you be so kind as to explain to me the fundamental differences
> in the BPS settings for SRSG's?  What can I expect from the different break
> rates?  What rates are good for what type of XFMR?  How do break rates
> effect the cap values needed for best performance? Any and all tid-bits of
> info appreciated.
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Bill Trumpet

Hi Bill....

basically ......  a small transformer with a cap larger than the resonate
value of the transformer uses
120bps ( NST with .01mF)  a large transformer ( piggie) with a smaller than
resonate sized cap can go to
240 bps. A magnifier system can use 480 bps.  but for best results and
longer sparks, 120 bps is the
optimum setting. this allows for a full charge ( current and voltage) to
build up in the cap befor it is
discharged to the tank circuit.   (( 120 bps is set for the peaks +/- of
the AC waveform)) any additional
bps not at 90  (+/- 1-2 degrees) will result in partially charged caps at
the dischage ( gap closure)
therefore not giving you the fullest amount of power to the tank circuit.

Scot D