Re: Merging copper tubing for Primaries

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I would second this... learn how to properly "sweat" copper fittings and
you'll find it an amazingly useful skill in the HV area.  All those nice
radiused corners, etc.

I've seen basic torch kits for under $10 on sale.. worth every penny.  The
little butane torches are just too small, unless you need to do fine work,
but then, a soldering gun might be a better choice.

If you wind up doing much metal fusing with hard solder (i.e. silver solder)
or brazing, a small oxy-mapp or oxy-acetylene rig is a lifesaver.  A bit of
practice and you'll be sticking stuff together with no trouble (of course,
professional skilled welders will laugh at you, but hey.. they probably
don't make million volt TCs either..)

I also should mention that the first time I met my father in law, I earned
his eternal respect by climbing under his house and sweating a fitting on
the end of a copper pipe that had popped off from freezing. (Here in sunny
California, they put the pipes on the OUTSIDE of the insulation...).  An
electrical engineer who can fix plumbing... the idea son-in-law, as far as
he was concerned...

> > >  what to do.  I know my soldering iron will never complete the job.
Any
> > >  suggestions?  Is it necessary?  Should I buy a propane torch ...?
What