Re: why are secondaries bare?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "lews therin telamon by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dreamer-at-mindsong-dot-net>

> Hi list, first post for me, but I've been lurking for awhile.
>
> This might be so fundamental of a question you guys will be bored, but
> I don't think I've ever seen an answer and I don't have anyone to
> ask.  What is the electrical reason that the secondary windings are always
> bare on TCs or on any transformer.  They're just responding to magnetic
> fields from the primary, right?  Magnetic fields, unlike electricity, know
> no insulation, so why leave the secondary uncovered.  It could still be
> stripped at the end and grounded and connected to a toroid...
>
> Excuse my ignorance if I'm grossly misinformed about something.
>
> --lews therin telamon.

Hi Lews...

secondaries really arent "bare" ...  the wire has a clear varnish on it to
insulate it. Also in Tesla coiling
we coat the secondary with thick coats of polyuerathane varnish to increase
the insulation factor. If the
wires were bare and they touched each other, they would act as "rings" and
this would create a condition
( inductive heating) which would heat up the ring ( and with enuf magnetic
flow the ring would burn the coil
form)  this would be bad...

hope this helped ...

Scot D