Re: Electric Lobster

Original poster: "Dan Kline by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ntesla-at-nc.rr-dot-com>

>        Well, it's one way to elevate Tesla coil research to the level of a
>carnival side show. It's obvious that no one there, including the reporter,
>knew what they were looking at, or cared. The reference to a
>"Frankenstein-like static electricity-generating machine called a Tesla
>coil," was another nationally broadcast round of mis-information about TCs.

Many persons on this list have used Tesla-coils for "sideshow" activities
like Halloween haunted houses and the like. I'm certain that almost anyone
going through a haunted house and seeing a Tesla-coil is thinking all kinds
of "Frankenstein-like" thoughts. But you're right: people attending
"sideshows" are there to be *entertained*...they certainly don't know what
they're looking at, or care. They're just having fun.

>This bizarre mixture of "Art," "Religion," and "Technology" (there was NO
>SCIENCE present)

I'm not sure I understand how Technology isn't Science. Do you mean
something like the difference between Physics and Electrical Engineering?
By the way, I got into Tesla-coiling through the Art perspective. Oh yeah,
and I also got into Tesla-coiling through the Technology perspective. And
don't think that some people don't see Tesla as a god and Tesla-coiling as
a religion. Some do, obviously.
There is a very interesting book called "The Two Cultures" by C. P. Snow,
about the marraige of Art and Technology. You can find it at your local
library...it's fairly famous.

>IMO damages the public's impression of everyone in the field
>as much as the perpetual motion/UFO/ lunatic fringe does. Hopefully you were
>well-paid.

There are all kinds of people in the world. Just think: if all the
non-scientific, artistic, fun-loving tesla-coilers didn't exist, according
to your implied heirarchy-of-values, you might be on the bottom as an
"easily offended Tesla-coiler". In any case, there was no reason to put
another coiler down. Maybe it's time to lighten up a little.

Dan Kline