Re: "Gas burner" corona from STSG driver

It probably depends on the exact triggering mechanism... If you're relying
on injection of ions it's one thing, but if you're just looking for field
distortion, it's different.  It also probably affects the jitter (which
probably isn't all that important for Tesla Coil apps).  I'd take a look at
commercial triggered gaps with similar electrode arrangements to see what
the recommended trigger polarity is.

Perkin Elmer (formerly EG&G) has a nice pdf file on their web site
describing all the various trigger modes.  Look for specialty devices under
products and navigate there.