Re: Tap tunable secondary

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

Terry,

Why not wind a smaller coil on a short form that can be rotated within the
bottom end of the secondary resonator.  A classic goniometer. If you are able
to wind this coil on a plastic sphere rather than a cylinder, so much the
better.  Probably an application for the 'strips of double sided tape' school
of keeping wire in place while winding.

Wired electrically in series with the bottom of the secondary coil and your
source oscillator through the magic of flexible flying leads, and rotated by an
insulated shaft it can be set easily during operation by hand to boost or buck
a portion of the secondary Z,  thus fine tuning it to match the frequency of
your CW power supply.

You didn't say if your secondary was a stand alone series fed resonator or one
immersed in the magnetically coupled field of a helical primary.  If the latter
this goniometer technique will also affect coupling, so in that case you might
want to foreshorten your secondary resonator and use an outboard goniometer
(full outer and rotating inner coil set) series connected with the bottom
connection of your HV resonator secondary, and away from the magnetic field of
the primary coil.

Taps work well on beer kegs.  Can you get Corona on tap?

Regards,
Rob

<<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>