Re: wood RSG

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Greg,

I think you should use some GPO3 which is less expensive than the G10 many
use, withstands higher temperatures, and is plenty strong enough for most
RSGs (but not quite as strong as G10).  It also machines well with ordinary
tools.  You can order it from McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster-dot-com  in the
States.  There might be a good source for GPO3 in Austrailia as well.  3/8
thick 12 x 12 inch sheets cost under $10.  The G10 costs almost four times
as much for the
same size sheet.

I would personally would not use plywood (even though Terry says it is OK!).
Even if you get it dry enough to be a good
insulator and not eventually carbon track, the density variation throughout
the disk is likely to give you trouble balancing it so it doesn't shake and
vibrate excessively.  These density variations (e.g. knots, gaps inside)
also can cause your drill bit to wander off course some with resulting
misaligned electrodes.

Better yet, go for a triggered spark gap and eliminate the need for
potentially dangerous and troubling high speed rotating disks.
--Steve