RE: Neon Sign Transformers (was: spark length formula needed*)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

My notes will be available in a few weeks and I will put them on the List. I
believe these NST tests are an important part of learning about Tesla coils.
The tests involve the effects of the power factors of AC loads which can
sometimes be confusing. For example, I have checked small AC motors with no
load currents that are larger than the full load currents. This is due to
the poor power factor of the motor at no load.

 The overall power factor of the load is very important to electric utility
companies. In fact they will charge you extra if your load causes their load
to have a poor power factor. Of course even the largest Tesla coil is not
important to a utility because of the short time it is in use, however, the
transients could be a problem for utilities.

John Couture