Re: Solid State Tesla Coil Book Available

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> Hello Ed
>
> I think I know what you mean. The books on electricity and magnetism from
> the old days explored topics in great depth and the some of the exercises
> bordered on research problems in my humble opinion. The same is true of
> mathematics. Just take a look at Whittaker and Watson's "A Course Of Modern
> Analysis". Some of the exercises have never been solved by students or
> professors. Only Whittaker and Watson knew how to solve them. Dunford and
> Schwartz's books "Linear Operators" has an exercise that could not be solved
> by students or the authors themselves! Many years went by until the young
> mathematical genius and student Robert Langlands presented a solution at
> Yale. Langlands is presently one of the greatest living mathematicians. This
> is why I stock my reference library with such books. I can't find a
> reference to the book you mentioned, but I do have a copy of Smythe's
> "Static and Dynamic Electricity". I'm certainly going to look through the
> exercises to find the one you mentioned.

	My blushes!  Someone stole my copy at work many years ago, and I never
replaced it.  As far as Smythe's problems, apparently he didn't expect
all of them to be solved by anyone, and judged a student's ability by
how far he got.  A friend of mine made history when he solved every
problem and got A+'s (unheard of!) in both "Smythe" and "Super Smythe"
which only the bravest of the brave ever enrolled in.  I wasn't brave at
all.

Ed