Re: PCBs / dioxin (was: Caps and HV switch)

Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

Not to get too off topic from Tesla coils, but since PCBs are of potential
concern to coil builders,
here goes:

PCBs are termed "chemically inert" because they resist chemical change
under normal conditions;
however, in enzyme-receptor systems these stable molecules can have hormone
like effects which are
_very_ serious.

Consider an enzyme-receptor system to be like a transistor:  a very tiny
[base] current is amplified
to a much, much larger [collector-emitter] current.  The large, "inert" PCB
molecule has been found to
fit quite well into certain receptors which promote cell growth.  Dioxin,
specifically the 2,3,7,8
isomer, also has strong hormone-like receptor effects which are like hidden
claws behind its cloak of
"inertness".
It's interesting that the PCB molecule and the dioxin-family molecules have
similar shapes- two
chlorine-studded aromatic rings joined by a bridge in the center.

I might add that Tesla coilers' repeated use of PVC around high voltages
could in theory produce
2,3,7,8 TCDD or certain PCBs that are harmful, since there's plenty of
activation energy flying around
to start reactions that wouldn't otherwise occur...  this is just my theory
and is, of course,
unproven to my knowledge.

Do NOT open any transformer that might contain PCBs.  Then again, as Mike
said, you should probably
avoid used motor oil as well...

-Chris (Biochem., Cook College '96)