From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 4:58 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Neon Sign Transformers (was: spark length formula needed*)

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

You could also have bigger volt amps on one side than the other because of
reactive power circulation.  Consider an inductor and capacitor in parallel
across the AC power line (resonance not necessary, nor desired).  The volts
is the same everywhere.  However the current drawn from the line will be
substantially less than the sum of the currents through the inductor and
capacitor.

measuring true power (Watts) rather than apparent power (Volt Amps) will
make everything come out right...