Re: High-input SSTC: Possible?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Terry, All

I checked the Farnell catalogue for IGBT prices and after the medical
team had resuscitated me... :-)  Yes, they are pretty expensive, but
definitely ones to watch (whilst the price falls); I *like* the idea of
the fibre optic (total electrical isolation) linkage between modules; I
also like the idea of getting more of the input power into the T-coil
rather than providing a sound and light show from the spark gap.

Think I'll go to the LV-fed FET idea (a la Carl Willis) for now, but
once those IGBT's are within reach of my pockets, look out world!

A final question whilst we're on the semiconductor subject:  My
catalogue rates diodes with a voltage RRM - what is this?  I was always
taught that diodes were rated as a *peak* voltage, so when sizing a
rectifier, we take the measured output voltage of the transformer and
divide by 0.707 (or was it 0.704) to get the peak from the voltage (RMS)
that we have measured...

Cheers

Matthew Smith

8x----- SNIP