Re: Plate transformer vs PIG Weight

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/21/01 10:48:15 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Pig owners,
>
> Just curious -  what does a typical 10 KVA pig weigh without the case and
> oil (just the transformer)?
> --Steve

Steve,

My "complete" 10 kVA, 14,400 volt pig (complete meaning
the transformer in the tank, w/bushings and oil-filled since that's
the way that they are normally obtained) weighs about 280 lbs..
I would only be guessing to comment on how much just the
"guts" weigh, but I would dare say that the bare, open-core transfor-
mer inside comprises at least 50% of the total weight of the unit?
It would really depend on the type and build of the tank assembly.

I believe the tanks may comprise a higher percentage of the total
weight of the trannies in European countries as opposed to the US,
since the external tank housing of pigs in the UK looks to be much
heavier and boxier than those of US pigs. I remember seeing the
webpage of a UK coiler that obtained a 5 kVA, 11kV pole pig and
the complete unit weighed like 370 lbs! He then took out the guts
and placed them in his own custom tank, with the required oil to
fill his smaller custom tank and it ended up weighing less than 200
lbs, if my memory serves me correctly. Sorry, i can't recall which
coiler that was :-( I believe The Geek Group obtained a complete
oil-filled tank 10 kVA pig that only weighed in at around 208 lbs,
but most complete 10 kVA pigs tip the scales in the 250 to 300
lb. range here in the US.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben