odd MOT found

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I was looking through an old junk shop, when I stumbled apon an old
microwave oven. I couldn't find the wattage rating on it, just rated voltage
output to magnetron. Anyway, I got the small sized MOT out the microwave
case and hooked it up to 120 V by itself. The transformer hummed lightly,
and I was abled to strike and arc just over 8" (20 cm), and the starting
spark was 0.196" (5 mm). It didn't even dim the lights! Very impressive arc
was white hot.
I have played around with lots of microwave oven transformers, and this one
seem to have an extra large secondary on it!
It must have a power rating over 900 watts* (just a guess) Most of the time
microwave transformer blow breakers, and or dim lights when arced. I was
able to continue this arcing for 12 seconds.....transformer didn't even get
warm, and my breaker never blew!

MOT part# EL-3H ANE620AX7AP ETL96B178 (Mitsubishi)

....something else is odd with the microwave too. The internal voltage is
running lower into the MOT the what is actually coming from the wall socket.

Their is a internal ballasting transformer which is limiting the voltage
from 120 VAC down to 60-62 VAC (why, I have no idea), but the transformer
still seems to be outputing 1900 to 2000 VAC out and draws almost a full 5"
arc and popped the breaker almost immediately.

microwave was built in 1973 in (Osaka, JPN)